Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2
2 of 2
Zentraedi and sex
Posted: 19 February 2006 02:00 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1026
Joined  2001-02-16

You know, I always found the scene odd where Breetai says to Exedore “Let’s discuss this further in my quarters…” Then they turn out the lights on the ship’s bridge and head off down the corridor. Hmmm…

Signature 

“And you don’t perceive a provocation in the enemy’s obliteration of our first assault wave?”

Posted: 19 February 2006 02:45 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  3179
Joined  2004-07-31

There is absolutely nothing suggestive about the way the Zents act toward each other.  If you sense there is then you are simply projecting your desire to sense something.  You would think if they were having any sort of sex at all they would start wondering what it would be like to have sex with something else (like the females).  You know how perverted a ship full of men could get?  Besides, relationships beyond commraderie would be detrimental to their fighting ability and there’s no way they would stand for that.

So, how did they avoid sex?  First, they are clearly instilled with a culture of fear.  Anything not involving warring is completely taboo.  Second, they are genetically modified, there’s a chance that one of the effects of that modification is decreased libito.  Third, we don’t really no what food they eat or if they receive injections or anything like that.  They may all be on some sort of medication that turns Willy off.  Then, once they get to Earth, they don’t get their injections or what-have-you and suddenly they’re just like humans and wanna get it on.

Signature 

Want to know more about Robotech toys?  Visit:
http://www.anymoon.com/
If a particular toy isn’t up yet, check back weekly, it’s going to take a long time to get everything up.

Posted: 19 February 2006 07:48 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2004-01-30

Besides, relationships beyond commraderie would be detrimental to their fighting ability

You know, I’ve often wondered about that.  It’s a general assumption made by most military bodies, but in the past some have actually believed the opposite, encouraging relationships among soldiers in hopes it would bond them in arms.  Is this just tradition or based on actual research?

Anyway, that’s neither here nor there.  Yes, there are a few “ambiguous” scenes, at least if you happen to be a pervert (I am) or a slightly confused American male (I know we’ve got some here) with little exposure to how other cultures actually operate.  Realistically, though, the most likely answer is probably the, admittedly less disturbing (if more boring) explanation given by Micronian Ace.  They were not only trained, but most likely engineered and possibly medicated as well, to inhibit or ignore their sex drive and channel it into aggression (especially the males).  They obviously had not lost all physical ability or instinctive memory of sex—Miriya was still fertile, and the spies and other defectors clearly felt “stirrings” once they were exposed to the mere idea—but their conscious brains at least had no knowledge of it.  Even Exedore, the smartest Zentraedi we see and more or less the keeper of their history, only seemed to have the vaguest knowledge that male and female had ever interacted, and was apparently as ignorant of sexual reproduction as all the others of his race.  The Masters did a good job of scouring sex from the Zentraedi minds and memories, and their “culture”.  I wonder, though, why they couldn’t get rid of it physically.  That would be pretty easy from an engineering standpoint.

Signature 

RT.COM FREAK
Supremely Cool RT.com Girl
ACE Public Relations Officer
Current de facto leader of the DOGS (Defenders of Gloval)
Barking mad

Posted: 19 February 2006 08:01 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  3179
Joined  2004-07-31

Is this just tradition or based on actual research?

I would guess that it’s actually just based on idealism.  Ideally, I imagine, you want your soldier to be all business.  They love their country and their duty (and everything else can wait until their back home).  They don’t worry about loved ones being put in harm’s way so you don’t have to worry about them second-guessing your orders.  That’s my guess.

I wonder, though, why they couldn’t get rid of it physically. That would be pretty easy from an engineering standpoint.

Another guess, maybe they left the goods intact so that, should all heck break loose, natural reproduction would still be an option.  Like if you were gonna station a group somewhere for an eon and that group ran out of protoculture… eventually they may be ordered to reproduce so that the next generation could continue the task at hand.  This would, of course, just be a doom’s day type precaution.

Signature 

Want to know more about Robotech toys?  Visit:
http://www.anymoon.com/
If a particular toy isn’t up yet, check back weekly, it’s going to take a long time to get everything up.

< 1 2
2 of 2