Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Evangelion
Posted: 18 February 2001 04:08 AM  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2001-02-16

Anybody out there want to throw their two cents in on this series?  I’m shocked nobody got around to mentioning this excellent sci-fi OAV.  Robotech fans would greatly appreciate
the quality and the pace of the show.  An excellent script and english voice acting cast, as well!  Doesn’t get any better than this, unless it’s called The Macross Saga.

Or should they even be compared in the same regard?

Posted: 18 February 2001 06:26 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2001-02-16

Robotech was brought to America and changed for American senseibilities, while EVA is geared more towards the Japanese sensibilities. I do agree that it’s a really great series! “Huh, unfamiliar ceiling.”-Shinji

Signature 

“We are all Kosh.”
Vorlon to Captain Sheriden

Posted: 18 February 2001 08:32 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2001-01-30

See subject.

More in-depth, I like the characters; they show originality if nothing else.  Where else have you seen a main character who was a spineless coward?

Signature 

“When they ran out of ships, they used guns.  When they ran out of guns, they used knives and sticks and their bare hands.  They were magnificent.”

Posted: 18 February 2001 10:41 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2001-02-16

Deiffinately a good series (cept for the end).  The characters have depth, even the smaller parts.  THe mecha are cool: more beast than machine (well, especially 01).

Signature 

Rats line On nO evil staR

Posted: 18 February 2001 11:11 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2001-02-17

The first time I saw EVA, I was like: “What the heck is going on here?” But I kept watching and I eventually came to really liking the entire series. Its not so much for fighting but because of the deep character development.

Signature 

“I say we dustoff and nuke it from orbit” Ripley

Posted: 18 February 2001 11:38 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2001-02-17

......my perfect girl, the problem? she is an anime toon, Eva its a really good Anime the only problem its that the DVDs are coming with only three episodes
=(

Signature 

Here, I´m the Emperor.
Robotech Rebels “RR”

Posted: 18 February 2001 12:55 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2001-02-17

Is anyone else waiting a really long time to get the third eva from dvd express?  The release date was like three weeks ago and I still haven’t got it.  I emailed them about it but they didn’t reply.  Was there a delay in releasing it or something?

Posted: 18 February 2001 01:06 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2001-02-16

As much as I love Evangelion I don’t think it really compares to Robotech.  Not that I don’t think it is better, but I think where they were going and what they are are as different as apples and oranges.  One of the best things about Robotech was its focus on realistic mecha design and plausible arial combat.  Evangelion was philosophical on so many levels.  I think that Robotech is a strictly action series with a lot of cool things thrown in, while in Evangelion the action is really the afterthought…..

Signature 

The First Thing You Should Realize Is That I Have Already Won.

Posted: 18 February 2001 01:16 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2001-02-15

I have to agree with Prolauk, the series is great and the plot extremely original, but the ending…man the ending was just not there.  I have seen the serie’s ending and I was disapointed, then I saw the movie’s and I thought after the first part it could be good only to be let down again.  The thing is, after seeing Gunbuster’s ending (Hideaki Ano made both series) I expected something in that range.

Posted: 18 February 2001 04:29 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2001-02-16

I think the whole idea of the ending was to show viewers what was always the main focus of the series, because it was shoved into the background for alot of the episodes, and that’s that down to the bottom of it, it’s really the story of a boy growing up. In the end we see the real feeling and confusion behind the characters strange personalities and then in the second half of the last episode we reach something of a conclusion of the boys story.

Of course alot of the fans of the series were watching the Eva’s and the Angels rather than Shinji and thus the three movies were made ^_^

Signature 

“There is nothing more beautiful than the hearts of those who fight for what they believe.”

Posted: 18 February 2001 06:31 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2001-02-16

To kittridge, I just picked up the 4th dvd, so you better raise hell to who you reserved from.

To everyone who replied:  Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.  “I must not run away…I must not run away…I must not run away…”

Look for “The End of Evangelion” (the movie that tried to end the series without confusion, and failed)  to come out very, very soon

Posted: 20 February 2001 01:34 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2001-02-16

I agree with Yakuza, for me the serie is excellent, but i didn´t liked the ending.
I never saw the movies neither.

Signature 

If we must run, I GO FIRST!!!

‹‹ Transformers!!!!!      My Favorite Gundam ››