Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 1 2 > 
1 of 2
Robotech paved the way for all anime that followed. Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 24 May 2001 02:41 PM  
Corporal
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2001-02-19

It may be a bit overstated to say that Robotech paved the way for all anime that has followed, but Robotech is definitely what got me interested in anime. I am fairly certain that I would not have been half as interested in anime as I am now, had I not seen Robotech. I started watching Robotech from the first broadcast back in ‘85 and I now have all the VHS volumes released by Family Home Entertainment (I don’t have a DVD player yet). From Robotech, I expanded my range to include Urusei Yatsura and the Original Bubblegum Crisis (sidebar: better BGC, original or Tokyo 2040). Now I have more than 200 anime VHS tapes, lots of manga (both in English and Japanese) as well as a whole slew of anime CDs(including one personally autographed by Chisa Yokoyama) and artbooks (including one personally autographed by Ai Orikasa and Ymui Takada).

Had I not seen Robotech, I probably would have regarded anime as a curiosity rather than a serious hobby. Which would really have been unfortunate, considering how much I love Sakura Wars, Tenchi Muyo! and Ah! My Goddess.

By the way, I have all three of the Robotech Art books and the Robotech Soundtrack album, both the 2CD Perfect Collection and the original LP!

Glad to see everyone had fun with our Miss Robotech competition!

Signature 

“Teikokukagekidan! Tanjo!”
              -Shinguji Sakura"Kasei ni kawate, zettai yo!”
            -Hino Rei/Sailor Mars"Understanding is a three-edged sword.”
                      -Ambassador Kosh

Posted: 24 May 2001 03:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2001-02-15

i agree. i think that most of the people here saw robotech first and that began his interest in anime. i don’t like anime anyway, i just like robotech

Signature 

lives we make never seem to ever get us anywhere but dead

if you want to see what was the reaction of angelo dante when he went to the movies with dana, see my picture in profile

Layne Staley, Rest in peace….
August 22, 1967 - April 5, 2002

Posted: 24 May 2001 03:44 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1301
Joined  2001-01-30

I would say that Robotech helped create awareness. It showed that anime and seriel cartoons in general had a chance in the US. It was the first anime i saw that I knew was Anime. I found that most of the shows i liked prior to that time where anime and i didn’t know it.

But without Robotech I might never have found the Sakura Taisen(wars) games, Tenchi Muyo, Slayers and especially the origninal Macross. So long live Robotech.

Signature 

Coercively Cloned Zentran at Birth; undergoing reclonning correction to Meltran configuration"Minmei? I’ve never heard of a Minmei; what are it’s ballistic capabilities?”-Khyron

Posted: 24 May 2001 04:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2001-03-29

I must agree with you that if it was not for Robotech, I don’t think I would be half the anime fan I am today. Robotech was my second entry into the world of anime. The first was Speed Racer. But, my father would not let me watch the show. He said those Italian cartoons were too violent. He had no idea. Not to mention by telling a kid not to watch something he started the fire. Then came Robotech and it was like throwing gas on the fire. When it first came out I watched each episode before I went to school everyday. That was the beginning of the end. I have been hooked on all kinds of anime from that day. Some years later I finally filled dad in; he was the cause of this strange obsession called anime. Which he still refers to as “that Japanimation stuff.” He’s getting there. I also told him that Speed Racer was Japanese, not an Italian cartoon. His reply, “why aren’t there any Japanese people in the cartoon then?” 

2040 seems better then BGC, but maybe its just because the 80’s clothing fasions are not back in style yet. I will hold my vote until next year.

Posted: 24 May 2001 04:51 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  2908
Joined  2001-05-10

In a book on anime I skimmed, the first Japanese cartoons with the big eyes and small shaded nose, expressive small usually open mouth, I believe was on some rocket-boy logo in late 50’s. 

My nephew Chris, who seems to know about mecha, says Gundam Wing, which had many offshoots but wasn’t as popular in the 80’s and has resurgence with Cartoon Network, came out with transforming almost-Veritechs two or so years before Robotech and led to the popular mecha we now know.

I personally got interested in anime with Speed Racer, then bored of the plot and when Robotech came out, cartoons of serious complex storyline that ran not during school at first, I tried not to miss the precious episodes and went through most of the novels as they came out.  Transforming, Invid Flowers that gave huge power and destiny, love triangle with Rick Minmei Lisa, giants, space, thinking caps and transcendence with protoculture exposure, so much going on I think advertising is the only weakness.

I’m still new to this site, and to some media deviations of the series.  Somebody tell me what’s this I hear about ROBOTECH THE MOVIE??

Anime itself only rocketed in America when kids saw Robotech cartoons.  This site wouldn’t work unless reminiscers and Cartoon Network got out the message.  It is a catchy cartoon style and, like Robotech, it’s only weakness is it’s lack of publicity.

Posted: 24 May 2001 05:42 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  329
Joined  2001-02-16

The first anime’s to enter the US Streem where the likes of Speed Racer and StarBlazers. These where heavly edited to US viewing at the time. Ironically the anime style came from an old Us cartoon called Betty Boop, The artise who started Asto Boy was heavly influenced by BettyBoop’s eyes, hence the huge eyes in anime we see today.

Robotech’s popularity hase some thanks due to the cartoon trend in the 80’s.  During that time the likes of HE-MAN, Transformers, And GI-JOE used the seried for tie in to the toy line. When Robotech entered the frey it was one up on the compitition, it had the bots, it had the people, it had the action, but it also had a deep plot. Somthing the other series where lacking. My only regret was the RT toy line was not pushed has much as the rest of the seried where. Do you know how hard it is to find robotech merchendise in the likes of germany when the majority was transformers? But i guess in a way that was good, they didnt get a chance to try and sell us re-hashed crap like the rest of the series did.

It left a deep impression that for sure.

Signature 

“A man’s house is his SDF, and his car is his Valkyrie.”
  —Old anime proverb.

Strike Valkyrie-Deus Decretum

Posted: 24 May 2001 06:22 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2001-02-16

Astroboy of course. If you want to think about what paved the way for anime in regarding America, Id say Robotech was probably it, since it spurred comics, RPGs, fanclubs, etc. It had to play a huge factor.

But, in the whole scheme of anime Astroboy pretty much popularized the genre.

Signature 

“Vision without action is a dream, action without vision is a nightmare.”

Posted: 24 May 2001 06:31 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  183
Joined  2001-04-30

but I have to say this to burst your bubble… gundam etc came before robotech.

Signature 

“It’s funny, all I ever wanted to do was fly, not destroy anything, and then the aliens came.”  - Rick Hunter
———————————
Unofficial robotech.com security officer
———————————
Resident Malcontent

Posted: 24 May 2001 06:33 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2001-02-16

Anime was part of American culture already with
like already mentioned..Speed race, Kimba, Gigantor..etc.  Star Blazers was the first really big wave of epic sized Anime. In fact It
has been said that George Lucas went to Japan for
ideas and Star Blazers was definitely a big in the
country at that time.  Robotech I think truly
introduced the golden age and designs of of Anime.
The spectacular scenes of Macross/ Robotech really
had a influenced Scifi today…I think.

Macross Plus I also think is a big breakthough in the advancement of Anime….

Signature 

“Oh, well. It was gonna happen sooner or later”.......Spike Spiegel

Posted: 24 May 2001 07:08 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2001-04-26

Lets forget about star blazers, voltron,and the american encarnation of gatchaman aswell as speed racer theyy werent anime at all. Yup Your right its alll robotech. No id have to say I disagree with you Robotech is a part of american animation it has crap to do with anime. In its individual sense it does however harmony gold has successfully amercianized it. And yes I know exactly what replys im going to get to this and ill go ahead and adress them. YES I KNOW ITS ANIMATION DONES IN JAPAN! But that fact dosent make it anime. How many of us consider inspector gadget to be anime? Same principle here. Macross is anime.. Southern cross is anime (however bad it may be) and Genesis climber is anime (which is good because Yoshitaka Amano did character design.) But robotech is not. Its of the same quality as the crap we see on saturday mornings. So again I say I disagree with you.

Posted: 24 May 2001 07:26 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2001-02-15

I agree that ROBOTECH did open for animes to come in the US.  But, the INTERNET, dramaticaly increase the demand for more animes ( Just see how much Japanimation fan clubs is popping in the states ! ( And in Canada also ! ) ).

I saw Robotech through an Vermont station on channel 22 ( Cable 22 here in Montreal ) and it was the first time that an American station aired a Japanimation cartoon.  And the same station did aired ” Dragon Warriors ” for only 13 episodes ( + reruns ) after RT was cancelled in 1989, I think.  Also, I had some informations, that, they were a serie called ” FORCE 5 “.  It included : Grendizer ( 25 episodes only.  That serie has 74 ! ), Ghetta Robot and I don’t know for the rest ( If somebody has this info, please post it here ! )

But, RT did open the demands for more animes, that is a fact.

The sad thing is that, RT was never aired in the province of Quebec.  Only in a french ” paid tv ” ( Is it the correct description ? ) in early 90’s.

On french tv in the late 60’s, they were a lot of anime ( Marine boy, Speed Racer ( Super Bolide ), Little Fairy ( Mini Fée ), Prince Zaphire ( Le Prince Saphir ), The Lion King ( Le roi Léo ) ( Not sure for the english title ! ),.

Then it was almost gone, until 1978 when GOLDORAK ( Grendizer ) was aired.  It was a MONSTREOUS succes.  Then, Captain Hardlock ( Albator )came 6 months later, Battle of the planets ( La bataille des Planètes )( Gachaman ), Ulysse 31, Rose de Versaille ( Lady Oscar ), Candy, Captain Futur ( ? ) ( Capitaine Flame ), The mysterious Golden City ( Not sure ) ( La mystérieuse cité d’or ), etc.

I GOT TO STOP !!!

There’s so much more title from the tv, that, I’ll take all the space in that section !.

Can you imagine what the US anime fans are missing ?.

But, I never saw StarBlazers ! ( Blast ! ).

Signature 

Breetai : My micronians friends, welcome

Posted: 24 May 2001 09:20 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  183
Joined  2001-03-05

I think Star Blazers and Battle for the Planets were flukes, and that Robotech really perked up TV producer’s ears by showing that Anime DID have a market in the States.  Ranma 1/2’s popularity showed you could sell tapes of the stuff, and Toonami showed you could put it on TV and get an Audience.

Paving the way for All anime?  Not on your life.  Paving it for the American Audience, you bet. smile

Jenn

Signature 

Not all warriors are called “Sir!”
http://www.dolari.net/cs
http://www.dolari.net/awfw
http://www.dolari.net - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 24 May 2001 11:42 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2001-05-24

Im totally with Dolari. Robotech definatly is probably the single most responsible series that got americans into japanese animation. I started on Robotech at 6 years old. Then grew from there. Now I have over 100 anime titles.

Posted: 25 May 2001 12:49 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2001-02-15

First of all, for SUDIF01, here all the Force Five info he requested:

Force Five was a dubbed anime anthology series of sorts, released in 1980 by Jim Terry Productions.  Each of the five shows used to create the daily Force Five package was trimmed down from its original run to 26 episodes each.  Every show was run once a week on a specific day of the week, meaning if you only liked one show, you could watch Force Five once a week and follow your favorite show.

Grandizer (original title: UFO Robo Grendizer, 1975) originally had 74 episodes, and was the SECOND sequel to the ORIGINAL pilotable robot show, Mazinger Z (1972), created by Go Nagai.  (The first sequel was Great Mazinger, and I don’t think it was ever released in the U.S. or Canada.)  Interestingly, the original Mazinger Z series was finally released five years later (1985) under the title Tranzor Z.

Gaiking (original title: Ozora Maryu Gaiking, or Demon Dragon of the Heavens Gaiking, 1976) ran for 44 episodes.  It had a wounded baseball player piloting a robot with a gold skull for a chest to take revenge on freaky demon guys.  Freaky little show.

Starvengers (original title: Getter Robo G, 1975) originally ran for 90 episodes, and was ALSO a sequel to an anime first—Go Nagai’s original Getter Robo (1974), the first robot show where the giant robot resulted from the combination of smaller vehicles.  A recent sequel, Change! Shin Getter Robo, will be released by ADV Films in July.

Danguard Ace (original title: Wakusei Robo Dangard A, or Planetary Robot Dangard A, 1977) originally had 56 episodes and was created by Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) and Captain Harlock creator Leiji Matsumoto.

Spaceketeers (original title: SF Saiyuki Starzinger, 1978) originally ran for 64 episodes, was also created by Matsumoto, and was based on the Monkey King legend that Dragon Ball and numerous other shows (such as Bandai’s “Monkey Magic”, or to some degree, the more adult “Goku: Midnight Eye” series that Urban Vision recently released on video) were based upon.  It also is the only one of the shows not to feature giant robots.

With ALL that info out of the way (culled from either having watched the shows in question or my handy copy of the 1994 book “The Complete Anime Guide” by Trish Ledoux and Doug Ranney), I’d like to point out that there were a heck of a lot of anime shows here in the States before Robotech.  The aforementioned book lists at least fifteen different shows released prior to Robotech’s 1985 debut.  Many were forgettable, but some—including Astro Boy (the first anime series EVER), Gigantor, Kimba the White Lion, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, and Voltron—are still fondly remembered to this day.

To be honest, you can’t discount Voltron, since it was popular enough to succeed where Robotech would later fail—World Events Productions, the group that brought it to the U.S. actually commissioned new story-filler episodes that meshed its two component shows (Go Lion and Dairugger XV) together.  However, it also failed where Robotech succeeded—the show was so heavily censored that people who were killed were either robots or were “badly wounded”, alcohol always became “juice drinks” or something like that, and some subplots seemed to go out the window for one reason or another and ended up being glossed over by the dub.  Watching it today, many of the censors are comically laughable, whereas Robotech’s few major censors are merely jarring at their worst.  (I refer here to when Zor Prime shoots down the last of the Robotech Masters—he fires the shot, then we cut STRAIGHT to the Robotech Master’s fallen body.  It’s a jarring and simply edit, but the meaning is left WHOLLY intact—he shot the bastard in the back, plain and simple.)

Robotech didn’t pave the way for anime to come on television.  It did open up the minds of an entire generation of “cartoon” fans to the heights that animation could reach, however, in terms of design and storytelling.  No, unfortunately the road to U.S. TV anime was paved by Pokemon and supported by the late-coming success of Dragon Ball Z.  (God knows it was on TV long enough before it finally took off ...)  Combined with its recent success on video (paved by Ranma 1/2, supported by Neon Genesis Evangelion and any number of features like Ghost in the Shell and the Street Fighter II animated movie), it is this unpleasant little show’s fault that we have become inundated with mangled anime as of late (i.e. Cardcaptors, Fox’s version of Escaflowne, and an unfortunate number of up-and-coming newcomers).

One last thought before I retire to bed, in reference to BlueTrim‘s cousin’s comments:  Gundam was, in fact, the first to take pilotable robots in general seriously as tools of war.  Before Gundam, giant robots were super-powered, god-like weapons piloted by young kids or teens to take on demon hordes or Godzilla-style monsters.  However, Gundam (not Gundam Wing—GW is a Gundam spin-off which was released in Japan in 1995 and is currently available in the U.S. on VHS & DVD) made giant robots into military hardware for the first time in anime, and was heavily influenced by the powered armor used in Robert Heinlein’s novel Starship Troopers.  However, Macross (the first generation of Robotech) was revolutionary for extending this “serious tool of war” concept to transforming robots—specifically the VF-1 Valkyrie, still one of the most realistic transforming robot models ever created.  Before that, no self-contained transforming robot (that is, a robot that transforms without any additional parts into another form) was ever used in a semi-realistic war setting.  (The original RX-78-2 Gundam did combine with a seperate fighter craft to form alternate combat modes, but most of those were ridiculous-looking and were an amalgam of two seperate craft.)

And to further correct your cousin, BlueTrim, in the late ‘80s Gundam’s popularity actually soared to its peak, starting with the release of the second Gundam TV series—Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (50 episodes)—in 1985, and continuing into the second sequel the following year (Mobile Suit Gundam Double Zeta, 47 episodes), and a theatrical film that wrapped up the series’ original heroes’ story in 1988 (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack).  Ever since, Gundam has been an institution the size of Star Trek, while Macross (as far as I can tell) has long been more akin to something like Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5—well known within the genre fanbase, but not nearly as well-recognized outside it.  (At least, when my sister mentioned it to the mother of her host family when she was staying abroad in Japan, the woman had never heard of it, but naturally knew about Gundam.)

Signature 

ROBOBLOG III: THE ODYSSEY - Robotech News, Reviews, & Commentary:  http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/
EMISSARIES: A ROBOTECH FANZINE: http://www.emissaries.info/
MY PLACE @ MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/captainjls

Posted: 25 May 2001 11:33 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2001-02-17

Long post…hehe…Here is my view…

It got me started!

<grins>

-HalfLoaf

Signature 

What, no more protoculture! Get the moonshine bottle!

Posted: 25 May 2001 02:30 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2001-02-19

Nice to see that I’m not the only Sakura Taisen (Sakura Wars) fan on this site! Sakura Taisen is my #1 favorite series!

I have the Saturn versions of Sakura Wars, Sakura Wars 2 and Sakura Wars Hanagumi Columns, the OVA released by ADV (subtitled, of course), a live-show video VHS(Chisa Yokoyama looks great as Sakura), two art books, and almost every Sakura Wars CD (still looking for a few live show CDs and Drama CDs). I’ve played through to all of the endings of the first game and all except Iris and Reni in the second game.

The series is being remade for PS2 (a US release is still extremely unlikely), and I have heard there will be two more games in the series. I have yet to play Sakura Wars 3 (Ogami is in Paris with a new group of   s), but I find it highly unlikely that Sakura, Sumire and the rest of the   s in Tokyo will be written out entirely (maybe both the Tokyo and Paris groups will be brought together in Sakura Wars 4 and 5).

I have heard rumors of a Sakura Wars movie. Animedia (a Japanese anime magazine) has a monthly section on Sakura Wars that includes 4-panel Sakura Wars cartoons.

Signature 

“Teikokukagekidan! Tanjo!”
              -Shinguji Sakura"Kasei ni kawate, zettai yo!”
            -Hino Rei/Sailor Mars"Understanding is a three-edged sword.”
                      -Ambassador Kosh

1 2 > 
1 of 2