Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4
Reflex Point. A new Robotech podcast
Posted: 11 June 2020 09:58 AM   [ # 16 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2019-09-11

Thank you for the vote of confidence on the sponsor parodies. They are something we thought would be fun to add, and they are a blast to come up with, but I worried that it might be an unwanted distraction.

Apologies for the delay in episode 8, we have had some issues come up recently. We recorded it weeks ago, but I haven’t been able to edit it. With all luck, it should be out tomorrow.

I wanted to get it out sooner because I do give a Hero’s Journey update, but one thing I missed completely was having spent time in the belly of the whale! I’m kicking myself, because it was right there. Thank you for pointing it out.

The work you’ve done on your Super Dimensional Analysis is astounding. I didn’t dive too deeply, fearing it would leak into my own analysis which is also the reason I haven’t listened to other podcasts like SkullCast yet, but its a beautiful piece of work (particularly the photo essay’s). I look forward to reading everything you’ve presented.

Thank you again for your support. It means the world.

Posted: 11 June 2020 11:52 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2018-11-29

I totally understand about reading other episode guides or listening to podcasts. I have taken the philosophy of trying to consolidate 38 years of analysis into one easy read.

No rush at all on posting episodes. I prefer the extra time.

The belly of the whale is interesting because in some myths simply being lost in a forest qualifies as the belly of the whale. While Rick spends time marooned with Minmei and Lisa at least 3 times, the fold to Pluto could also be viewed as the belly of the whale. In this context the universe or solar system is the whale and being far from Earth and near Pluto is the belly of the whale on a macrocosm scale.

Signature 

Click here for Academic Robotech Analysis

Posted: 13 June 2020 08:25 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Private
Joined  2019-09-11

The fold to Pluto as the belly of the whale… Wow. You’ve once again made me see something new. This show was so impactful for me in my pivotal that years that it’s a real joy to find something new. Thank you for that!

Posted: 20 June 2020 09:19 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

Nice job for Episode 8. I enjoyed your analysis using the Hero’s Journey paradigm. It is meant to be a very loose and flexible academic tool to study myths. There seem to be many versions of the 17 stages. You stated Stage 1 and 2 are the Ordinary World and Meeting the Mentor which is Rick and Roy in Episode 1. Stage 3 is the Call to Adventure which is when Roy and Minmei suggest Rick join the military in Episode 5. Stage 4 is Refusal which is Rick refusing in Episode 5. Stage 5 is Cross the First Threshold which is exposition by the narrator explaining Rick’s conflicted feelings. He crosses the first threshold with his promotion. Stage 6 is Tests, Allies, and Enemies which is Mars Base, Roy, Ben, Max, the Zentreadi, and Khyron through Episode 8.

An alternative interpretation uses a different set of 17 stages. Stage 1 is the Call to Adventure which is both the firing of the main gun on Macross Island and Rick’s flight in the trainer veritech from Episode 1. Roy and Minmei’s suggestion Rick join the military in Episode 5 is an additional Call to Adventure. Stage 2 is the Refusal of the Call which is Rick’s attempt at explaining to Lisa he is a civilian in Episode 1. An additional refusal occurs in Episode 5 when Rick initially refuses to join the military. Stage 3 is the Supernatural Aid which could be Minmei’s singing in Episode 4, the veritechs, or Max himself in Episode 8. Stage 4 is Cross the Threshold which is the fold to Pluto in Episode 3, Rick and Minmei’s rescue from their containment in Episode 4, and when Rick jumped the chasm in Episode 5. The title of Episode 5 is Transformation which is a simpler way of saying Cross the Threshold. Rick and the SDF-1 transform. Stage 5 is the Belly of the Whale which is inside the parachute tent of Episode 4. Rick and Minmei are inside a tent, which is inside a compartment, which is under a city, which is inside the SDF-1, which is in the outer solar system. There will be additional Belly of the Whale moments as the series progresses. Stage 6 is the Road of Trials which are Rick’s sorties and missions from Episode 6 through Episode 11. I do not feel Stage 7, Meeting with the Goddess, occurs until Episode 12, but it could be Minmei from Episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4. I feel Robotech fulfills Stage 8 prior to Stage 7. Stage 8 is Temptation which is Minmei most strongly occurring repeatedly in Episodes 1 through 8. I feel Robotech hits Stages 1 through 8 by Episode 8. I feel Robotech skips Stage 7 but will fulfill Stage 7 in Episode 12.

Robotech’s success may be in repeatedly hitting the same Stages over and over which may give the viewers satisfaction. This analysis can get quite lengthy if we were to define Lisa or Minmei as the heroes of their own 17 stage journeys. Captain Gloval and Max could also be on their own journey as well as most other characters.

Keep up the great work.

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2020 05:29 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2020-07-15

Howdy Boys - HOT DAMN do I love this podcast. Please don’t change a thing. Every week you’re having the conversation I’ve been trying to have for thirty years. 

This is what podcasts are for.  To a narrow niche of people, we happy few, this podcast hits home like the Daedalus Maneuver.  I was just daydreaming about Robotech one day and found this. Burned through the first eight in as many days.  Now I’ve got to wait for the next one, like a sucker.  Maybe I’ll check out some of the other podcasts while I wait, but you guys are setting the standard for me.  Think I’ll break out my dvd set and play the home game while I wait…

In Bye Bye Mars, you posed the question: why did Roy send Rick to get Lisa instead of just doing it himself? I never thought about that, but I think I have an answer… he was busy, man.  I was a tank commander for a brief period, and I can tell you that even when things are going well, it’s hard to keep everyone on the same page and fight your own tank at the same time.  A delaying action is one of the most difficult military maneuvers to pull off (I hear) and Roy had the added pressure of trying to lure as many Zentraedi into the blast area as possible.  He had his hands full. He probably gave the decision to send Rick about one second’s thought and then was on to the next life or death choice.

I said all that to my iPad yesterday, but you probably couldn’t hear me.

Anyway, keep up the great work guys. I hope I’ve made my enthusiasm for this podcast clear.

Got a patreon?

Posted: 15 July 2020 06:27 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Private
Joined  2019-09-11

Bumblebee… Thank you so much for writing and for listening! You’re exactly who we wanted to make this podcast for. I knew you were out there.

I’m lucky to have had Paul as the person I could have these conversations with through my life, where we take some things way too seriously without fear of judgement.

By the way, I’m editing episode 9 and it should out by the end of the week, but I can’t express to you what your encouragement means to us.

Great insight into Roy handing off the Lisa operation to Rick. You’re completely right, it was probably a one second thought to give it to someone he trusts and then focus on what he was doing. When I originally asked the question, I was thinking there might be some intent behind it, like Roy was testing him or maybe he was trying to get Rick some points with her, but it makes so much more sense that he was responding to a wartime decision.

Thank you for your informed military perspective and for your service!

Just curious, what home game do you play?

I’m going to get back to editing, but feel free to reach out anytime to talk.

Signed,
We happy few

Posted: 15 July 2020 06:40 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2020-04-03

Hello Bumblebee,
First off, thank you for your service. What type of tank did you command? I myself never served, but am in love with the Abrams main battle tank. Probably the closest thing we have to a Mecha at this point. Thank you so much for your support. To know that people enjoy our conversations is one of the most humbling experiences I’ve ever had. You make a great point with Roy, in the thick of battle, he made a decision and went about his way. Makes me appreciate him even more. At the risk of tooting our own horn, lol, the next episode is almost ready and I think it’s pretty good. I had fun with it and I think Major did too. Reach out to us whenever you want, we love connecting with others to keep Robotech alive!

Posted: 15 July 2020 07:00 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-07-15

Sorry, the home game reference was ambiguous. We deserve a good Robotech video game…

What I mean to say is I’m going to start digging into these episodes too! They deserve a closer look.

Posted: 15 July 2020 08:06 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Private
Joined  2019-09-11

We do deserve a a good video game!

Enjoy the revisit! I know we have.

Posted: 15 July 2020 10:20 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-07-15
Aoma15 - 15 July 2020 06:40 PM

Hello Bumblebee,
First off, thank you for your service. What type of tank did you command? I myself never served, but am in love with the Abrams main battle tank. Probably the closest thing we have to a Mecha at this point. Thank you so much for your support. To know that people enjoy our conversations is one of the most humbling experiences I’ve ever had. You make a great point with Roy, in the thick of battle, he made a decision and went about his way. Makes me appreciate him even more. At the risk of tooting our own horn, lol, the next episode is almost ready and I think it’s pretty good. I had fun with it and I think Major did too. Reach out to us whenever you want, we love connecting with others to keep Robotech alive!

Roy is the Man for sure. Gloval’s go-to for space violence.  Until he’s not anymore…

If it was Roy and not Rick who found himself alone with an unarmed Zentraedi, I think that scene ends in two seconds and a hail of bullets. Maybe some missiles fired off down the corridor on general principles! 

I was on the Abrams, first the M1 and then the M1A1.  When the A2 was in development, they had a prototype at the motor pool next to mine.  A friend (also into Robotech I suddenly realize) and I liberated a deuce and a half and went down the road to get a peek.  In itself, kind of a Robotech move. The A2 was so new at that point, it had a civilian crew from general dynamics. They toured us all over the whole thing… simpler times.

I’ve always thought the abrams was a bit mecha-like, and I blame/thank Robotech somewhat for smushing my brain up in those formative years in such a way that I became obsessed with armor.  I feel some affinity for those poor destroid drivers who just roll out, get a couple shots off, and get blown to pieces. The mooks of the RDF.  But they roll out every time, regardless… unsung heroes!

Thanks again for a great podcast.  Keep it up!  You’re past six episodes now anyway, so it’s smooth sailing.

Posted: 19 July 2020 06:51 PM   [ # 26 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-07-15
Aoma15 - 15 July 2020 06:40 PM

Hello Bumblebee,

Hey one other thing, I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier.  If you’re into tanks, I have a webcomic… there’s no good comics about tanks, so I tried to make one. The beginning is a little rough, but I’m starting to get the hang of it now that I’m coming up on 200 pages… let me know what you think!

http://driveon.thecomicseries.com/

Posted: 20 July 2020 12:06 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

Nice job on Episode 9. You guys are funny always discussing that one radial claw like object on the ceiling. In my opinion it is evidence of the level of effort applied to even background objects. It may actually represent a lack of discipline or resource allocation in the production. Perhaps too much time was spent on background items. I also noticed the object over the years. It really seems out of place. I feel it resembles the omni-directional shield apparatus in later episodes. If the original artist is still alive, I am sure there is a story behind the design but it will likely remain a mystery.

Signature 

Posted: 20 July 2020 08:27 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-07-15

Concur with Brofessor, another bang up job. 

Love the idea of the behind the scenes skullduggery at the Miss Macross Contest, with respect to the song. What if you went a step further and rigged it for the upset win? That’s entertainment!  And I think the mayor could probably make it happen.  How much power does that guy have, anyway? Second only to Gloval? And he’s tight with the White Dragon crew.  In fact, maybe Jan, with her extensive entertainment background, could sense the fix was in. That would help explain her emotional state. Not sure nerves alone would, after all - it’s not like it’s Hollywood.

And am I crazy, or did Minmei repeat that same exact line later on?  Could that dialogue mirroring be suggesting that Minmei will find the road she’s traveling down as disillusioning as Jan seems to, now that she’s nearing the end of the ride?

And the last thing, I think there’s another little nugget in here with respect to Rick’s physical distance to Minmei as the episode goes on. At first, he’s right next to her, asking her out and getting rebuffed. Next time, he’s on the phone, complaining about her choice to be in the contest. Then, he’s watching helplessly from a distance. Then, he’s watching from out in space. Then, he wakes up from having nearly been blown out of this plane of existence to see her winning the contest. Slipping further and further away…

They weren’t meant to be together.

Anyway, great job. I doled this one out in little bits, like the last of my Halloween candy, but I still couldn’t make it last a week. So, eagerly awaiting the next. We’re coming up to two of my favorite episodes!

Posted: 21 July 2020 06:09 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29
Bumblebee - 19 July 2020 06:51 PM

Hey one other thing, I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier.  If you’re into tanks, I have a webcomic… there’s no good comics about tanks, so I tried to make one. The beginning is a little rough, but I’m starting to get the hang of it now that I’m coming up on 200 pages… let me know what you think!

Very high quality comic book Bumblebee. I love it.

What dialogue do you suspect Minmei repeated? You mentioned it in your later post.

Cool analysis about Episode 9 portraying Rick further and further away from Minmei.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2020 03:55 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-07-15
Brofessor - 21 July 2020 06:09 AM
Bumblebee - 19 July 2020 06:51 PM

Very high quality comic book Bumblebee. I love it.

What dialogue do you suspect Minmei repeated? You mentioned it in your later post.

Cool analysis about Episode 9 portraying Rick further and further away from Minmei.

Thanks Brofessor! When I get Drive On to a good stopping point, I’m kicking around some fan fiction about a Destroid driver (Tomahawk of course) so I’ll be posting up some concept art and character design stuff in the near future.

I’m going off memory, but I think Jan said of the competition “it’s not like it’s Hollywood,” and I think, after she won, Minmei said the same thing. I’ll have to double check but I think it’s true.  But she might have just been trying to sound like “a real star” like Jan.  But either way, I think it would work as a nice piece of foreshadowing!

Edit - nope, it was Jan who said it, just repeating herself out on stage.  Looks like I got that one wrong… Memory, you’ve failed me for the last time!

< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4