Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Spamming vs. Legit Posting
Posted: 10 June 2020 02:27 PM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  4820
Joined  2001-12-21

While this thread title seems like a no-brainer I want to focus on why it is spamming against legit posting.

When a once great website/forum takes a massive dive in use, access, and relevance should those who legitimately post continue to do so? Perhaps when that occurs the spammers should be allowed to venture in and do their job: keeping a website going.

I feel that those who hang on are heroic yet they are also masochistic in a sense. Will the website become great again or will it fall to become a spammers haven while few remain as relics of a bygone era?

I do see both sides of this yet I am not sure which I agree with.

Thoughts?

Signature 

Admiral Locke “Silver X” Mage
Demon 3
105th Airwing Demon Squadron

Chf Cmdr Locke
Legion of Darkness
Darkness 1
DARK FIN EMPEROR
Other Leader of the World’s Largest Evil Organization
K.I.L.L.

Posted: 11 June 2020 10:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43404
Joined  2001-02-16

Spamming is usually a post that has little, or nothing to do with the thread it’s in.

Often times linking to commercial websites of ‘questionable’ merit.

Or just to post complete nonsense.

Just my opinion on the subject.

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 12 June 2020 09:57 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2018-11-29

I believe this forum has been abandoned by the fans and the moderators. I think the moderators might check in but take no action. There seem to be a lot of web crawlers, bots, spammers, spiders, etc.

I suspect the main Robotech activity is on Facebook fan pages. Does anyone know if this is true or which Facebook page is the official or unofficial Robotech page?

This forum is now an archive of Robotech discussions from the past.

RobotechX also seems to have been abandoned by the fans and moderators and is also now an archive.

I enjoy reading blogs and conversations in blogs. Facebook does not really facilitate blog-like conversations. Facebook conversations seem more disposable.

I really dislike Facebook. I am a Robotech fan. This forum seems like my only option.

Does anyone know any good current forums for Robotech? Thanks.

Signature 

Click here for Academic Robotech Analysis

Posted: 13 June 2020 12:31 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  267
Joined  2001-02-22

The spammers annoy me to be frank.  Although I wonder if some are really spam or somehow spam leaked into them as they seem somewhat on topic.

I think this is the only real Robotech forum. The Facebook comments stay in line of “oh i like this, hg is #$@, or hg money hungry again.” Which I is how Facebook works.  I think could be due also to the annomymity of forums vs fb. For me, I like a certain sense of it for conversations. It is basically what keeps me here instead of there. But it seems like the FB page is updated daily.  As well, here,  nothing.  Just us, holding the fort. Below is the link

facebook.com/robotech/

I was in my early 20’s when i joined smile and definitely miss the activity of this website. The weekly quizzes or questionaires to help raise your rank.  Also I miss the fan fiction and fan art pages. One spot for everything. Not mulitple fan pages, which in a sense is like it’s own website. I recently joined Robotechx hoping for more activity.  It is pretty much the same as here.  A lot of spam too,  but with pictures lol. I seen some activity and have to wonder what if those active there came back here? Or those conversing there also here already. 

Unless new content (OVA, movie,  remake, etc) comes out, we will dwindle.  I know the board games and merchandise. But that will only go so far. 

Posted: 13 June 2020 09:56 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-12-21

I personally have a hard time doing much with Facebook so I was glad to know that this place still existed in a sense. While it is true that the spammers are way off topic or insert links I have to wonder if the use of spamming keeps a relic like this going.

Signature 

Demon 3

Chf Cmdr Locke
Legion of Darkness
Darkness 1
DARK FIN EMPEROR
K.I.L.L.

Posted: 14 June 2020 09:01 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1199
Joined  2001-09-19

The problem I see is how the powers be want to stay in the groove of now. Thus FB seems to be the logic they have chosen. However not all want to be on there and having a place like here would fit for those who do not wan to be on FB or simply cannot be. Example; Some work places may have FB blocked from their employees to use. But this site here should still be available to view. Some folks may also not want their child to be on FB. This site I would think would be OK for both parents and their kids to see.

But I think energy as well as time is much more needed for this place vs having a FB page. In truth we are lucky that they are still paying for the space and servers here to be running. It was by pure luck that I decided to, for old times sake, check back on Robotech.com and saw it up and running still.

But something needs to be done here besides just flashy looks. Real timely info plus real communication is sorely lacking here and that in turn could come and bite them. But perhaps I am simply too old now? What I feel and maybe others may feel as well may not be what the powers be perceive as important enough to do anything here. It is as a courtesy they have this place (forum) for us to still use I suppose.

Hoping that soon they will actually come here and interact with us once more and have some really good stuff for us regardless if it’s in the shop or as a news feed.

Signature 

Grand Admiral: “Wolfen” Stormhard
Demon #2
Dreadnaught class ship: Katana

Legions Of Thunder
Thunder 19
Lone Wolf Squadron XO

Jedi Wolf of the Dark Fin

Posted: 15 June 2020 08:34 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-12-21

I understand that sentiment fully. So many people use FB that the old school forum is practically obsolete with the exception of a few percentage wise. I too was more than thrilled to see that RT was still alive.

For the time being, spamming seems to have helped this place. I have been scouring the forums and there are so few new and relevant posts or topics. A decade ago, this place was a hotbed of information regarding Cons, anime, comics, toys etc… Now, there is the Lounge and a few posts here and there.

I think about forums of the past (suddenlaunch and conforums come to mind) and how places lime that died off. There was no spamming of the sites to even justify keeping those servers going which makes me wonder about the moderation of a forum now. Will a place stay running as long as there is activity regardless of the content?

Signature 

Demon 3

Chf Cmdr Locke
Legion of Darkness
Darkness 1
DARK FIN EMPEROR
K.I.L.L.

Posted: 15 June 2020 08:55 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1199
Joined  2001-09-19

At some point the powers be will look at this place and make a final judgment I’m sure. Will it be in our favor or not is yet to be seen.

Perhaps if we (the real fans, people) would politely ask about it, we might get an answer. Plus if enough of us ask they might see that the site still can be valuable to them.

Signature 

Grand Admiral: “Wolfen” Stormhard
Demon #2
Dreadnaught class ship: Katana

Legions Of Thunder
Thunder 19
Lone Wolf Squadron XO

Jedi Wolf of the Dark Fin

Posted: 17 June 2020 04:16 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  9016
Joined  2002-04-11

If you need some help to discuss this spammers topic, I suggest these helpful writing tools touchmelikeyouloveme that will improve your posting.

Forum board spamming is all automated and fairly awkward to eliminate without a full presence which this site no longer has.  Those who are left and still genuine on this site are mere fossils. Robosaurus Tek.  Or Dino Riders, if you liked that…

Signature 

Sie können mein Haar bürsten, ausziehen mich überall!

Posted: 17 June 2020 11:38 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  267
Joined  2001-02-22

Can i be a Dinosaucer instead? Robosaures tek sounds like bad b movie. 

If spammers keep the site alive then i guess i might as well join Murdock here and add spam to my messages lol

Posted: 18 June 2020 09:07 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-12-21

Hmmm. Robotechaurus?

Love the spam link btw. Reminds me of that old meatspin stuff that we used to send on YIM, AIM, and other IM services.

Gotta love colored fonts.

Signature 

Demon 3

Chf Cmdr Locke
Legion of Darkness
Darkness 1
DARK FIN EMPEROR
K.I.L.L.

Posted: 18 June 2020 01:42 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  9016
Joined  2002-04-11

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

There is a bad Dino b-movie already. Its called Veloci-Pastor. You should check it out!

Signature 

Sie können mein Haar bürsten, ausziehen mich überall!

Posted: 19 June 2020 10:08 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-12-21

Find the Truth

Since we are about that spamming and linking life. I figured I would drop some knowledge myself.

Signature 

Demon 3

Chf Cmdr Locke
Legion of Darkness
Darkness 1
DARK FIN EMPEROR
K.I.L.L.