Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
How do I read Comic Books / Graphic Novels?
Posted: 31 July 2018 02:56 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-07-26

Hi,

I’ve always enjoyed the various Comic Book Universes but very rarely ever actually read comic books. I probably only owned a handful of individual comics in my life. Something about the serialized nature and needing to get the latest issue every week always led me to be concerned about getting behind.I’ve always been much more of a novel reader and my brain is wired with various speed reading and comprehension techniques. My mind is aware of the process of reading a novel.So now that many different old and new comics from Marvel to Star Wars are being offered on tablets like my Kindle Fire, I’ve been interesting if giving the art form a new shot. There are some older Star Wars comics like Dark Empire that I have always been aware of but never actually read and more and more of the classic Marvel compilations are now available.My problem is that when I get some of the free samples on the Kindle I have a hard time figuring out how I am actually suppose to read them. Do I read the dialogue/text bubbles first and then look at the background art? Do I start from left to right or top to bottom? Or should I look at the background of a particular panel and then read the text?Anyone have any suggestions for a really silly problem?

Please help.

I didn’t find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1191689
Creative infographic design service

Thanks!

Posted: 14 August 2018 09:29 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  267
Joined  2001-02-22

lol definitely can get kind of confusing =) general rule of thumb is like a book. left to right, top to bottom. the bubbles themselves can be hard to decipher in any given box. really depends on the dialogue. for myself. i generally look at the 1st picture (top, left) first to soak up what is happening and then try and read the bubbles in that first picture (left to right style, most of the time). then go to the next picture to the right of it, view and read. i try not to look at all the pictures at one time as to avoid spoiling it haha.

here is a small link that may help as well. more general =)
https://www.wikihow.com/Read-Comics

another one i found kind of interesting. gives lot more info but only read 1st part to get started
https://www.vox.com/2015/2/25/8101837/ody-c-comic-book-panels

I havent read comics in a while. But in trying to get my son more interested in reading, I picked up the prequel comics to BumbleBee the Movie. he is only 6 so its very fun for him but i have to do the reading =)

apologies for any grammar error =)

Posted: 16 August 2018 12:41 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43404
Joined  2001-02-16

It depends on the orientation of how the books are laid out:

Western comics/ graphic novels:

Generally Left-to-Right format (OEL: [Original English Language manga] follows the Japanese format)

Japanese manga (in Japanese language):
Right-to-Left format

Most English translations of Japanese manga follow the original layout, which can be a bit awkward to read at first.
But once you’re used to the format, it’s just as easy to read as western format comics.

(Edit: Had to make a slight correction.)

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 16 August 2018 04:32 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  267
Joined  2001-02-22

LMAO! oh yes this is sooo true. I have done as Megalord mentions and read a Manga all wrong. was so confused till i remembered it was Japanese translated. =)

Posted: 15 November 2018 04:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2018-11-15

general principle guideline resembles a book. left to right, start to finish. the air pockets themselves can be difficult to disentangle in some random box. truly relies upon the exchange. for myself. I for the most part take a gander at the first picture (top, left) first to douse up what is going on and afterward attempt and read the rises in that first picture (left to right style, more often than not). at that point go to the following picture to one side of it, view and read.

Signature 

Today,I can see shield hero on mangazuki for free. This is best place of manga.

Posted: 16 December 2019 02:53 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2019-07-28

Hi guys, I just love manga, at the moment I’m reading Haykuu! and Shingeki no Kyojin and look forward to new volumes. But since I am a college student, I don’t have much time for such things, so I try to use https://writix.co.uk/research-paper-writing-service this educational platform to have more free time for my favorite hobbies.

Posted: 27 April 2023 05:49 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2022-10-21

Most comic books and graphic novels have a storyline that builds on previous issues, so it’s important to start from the beginning to avoid confusion. The text in speech bubbles is a crucial part of the story, so pay attention to the dialogue to understand the plot and characters. You can check self publishing to get more info about books. Comic books and graphic novels are immersive experiences, so get into the story and let yourself be carried away by the plot and the characters. Unlike traditional novels, comic books and graphic novels are visual mediums, with panels that contain images and text. Follow the panels in the correct order to get the full story.