Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2
2 of 2
The death of Ben Dixon
Posted: 19 January 2005 03:20 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-07-06

I think that it was necesary, because thanks to that incident Rick becomes a better lider, and every body has seen that in war you can die in every second, of course is not something for not be sad, but every bodycontinue with his life…

Posted: 22 January 2005 09:05 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2002-11-25

Farewell,Ben!

Signature 

Radin Dusan-Legolas

Posted: 22 January 2005 09:36 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2003-11-17

Look in a series involving a war… people have to die and it can’t always be some faceless character. This is how we arrive at drama. Ben was obviously created as a character to be around just long enough to befriend Rick, let you get to know him and then BAM he dies and you have more drama. Thats why they made him so clumbsy in the first place. Also he also nearly died earlier in I think it was one of the battles with Kyrons forces. If he had not been saved by Rick or Max (I can’t remember) he would have been dead then. So.. how did you not see it coming. He was made to die.

Signature 

What? My name isn’t enough???

Posted: 22 January 2005 10:17 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  2908
Joined  2001-05-10

the very fact that it
wasn’t as we wanted it,
is what makes it more
emotionally powerful.
That is Robotech.

Cow!  It’s what’s for dinner! ^_^  :(

Posted: 04 November 2018 05:55 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2005-01-03

I have been off this site for a long time. this is still a very important topic, if you ask me.

Signature 

~Robotech Lounge Defender~

Posted: 04 November 2018 07:24 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2001-12-02

I watched the Macross Saga again recently and Roy and Ben’s death were back to back. Sadness

Signature 

The best way to make a dream come true is to wake up.

OMG I kissed Rick Hunter, Roy Fokker, Lynn Kyle, Lancer (yellow dancer), Dolza 0.0, Lisa Hayes and Minmei, Claudia and Captain Global. YAY!

Posted: 11 November 2018 05:00 AM   [ # 22 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2001-01-30

Its simple. The original SDF Macross animation and storyline already have scene of Ben Dixon’s character died. Thus Robotech writers adapted it to fit the narative of Robotech. Ben wasn’t much of a support characters most often just a comic relief or that blunder of a ineffective sidekick. Despite his death is unglamourous, his death affected Rick the most as Rick is his ranking officer and Ben was his mate, and subordinate under him too. Having Ben’s death came right after Roy’s it really hit Rick that no one even those close to him will be spared from the aftereffects of war.

Ben’s death served a plot point where Rick will matured into a great character he is later on, as a leader.

Signature 

Forever shall I be loyal to you, my love, my Queen…Mother of the Invid race, Regis.We shall rise like a fiery phoenix, together we will rewrite the history of space and time…Forever. [attributed to Zor]

ROBOTECH SITES ARCHIVE (WEBSITES / MESSAGE BOARDS / RPGS / FANFICS / OSM)

Posted: 11 November 2018 05:28 AM   [ # 23 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2445
Joined  2004-06-13

Revitising this thread brings back memories, I visited this site on a whim just to see if it ever was up and running again.  Glad.to see it again.

Signature 

—85er—Intubator of the D.O.L…..Flowmeter of the Dark Fin…. - Remember Carl.

Posted: 20 November 2018 04:20 AM   [ # 24 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1114
Joined  2002-02-21
SteelMax - 11 November 2018 05:28 AM

Revitising this thread brings back memories, I visited this site on a whim just to see if it ever was up and running again.  Glad.to see it again.

Welcome back smile

Signature 

“I hear the revolver go off, but what the hell, it’s 5pm, and not my problem…”
“U P Telephony? I P Urine!”

Posted: 20 November 2018 04:25 AM   [ # 25 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1114
Joined  2002-02-21
Lisa&Rick; - 04 November 2018 07:24 PM

I watched the Macross Saga again recently and Roy and Ben’s death were back to back. Sadness

The back to back losses really help give Rick that “this is real now” attitude.
Up until the loss of life he experiences first hand, his biggest worries wasn’t the war, it was Minmei.
This is another reason I love the scene where he hangs up on Minmei, it’s a visual cue that he’s started turning all that ‘off’ in his mind as he starts to see what is actually important and how high the stakes are.

Later we see he is able to compartmentalize both and by the end of the Macross Saga he’s not only an extremely effective leader but also able to be mature about Minmei while still reaching out a helping hand in her times of need while not getting too caught up in it all.

Rewatching Robotech is great. As we get older we pick up on all these other things that we can relate to a lot better because of our years of experience smile

Signature 

“I hear the revolver go off, but what the hell, it’s 5pm, and not my problem…”
“U P Telephony? I P Urine!”

< 1 2
2 of 2