Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles Behind The Scenes
Posted: 22 January 2018 06:46 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2017-07-31

Hey everyone! I just published this article on Den of Geek and I thought some people here would find it interesting. I sat down with the guys at Harmony Gold and even Ford Riley (writer of the film) to discuss The Shadow Chronicles. Why certain choices were made, alternate ideas for the film, etc.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/robotech/262567/the-troubled-genesis-of-robotech-the-shadow-chronicles

Posted: 23 January 2018 06:42 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2001-02-16

Nice article! I´am still waiting for Shadow Rising, but I´am a dreamer… raspberry

Signature 

Just for the thin blue line…

Posted: 23 January 2018 01:29 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1980
Joined  2001-01-30

Robotech II: The Sentinels had failed to get off the ground in the ‘80s and Robotech 3000, a proposed CGI series set a thousand years in the future from the show’s timeline, had received major backlash from fans.

They showed it at one con, put up a few pictures of Suzy and Brent, and made a small Quicktime clip. I wouldn’t call it major when there wasn’t much to reject. The 3D was a bad idea, a late 90s fad, but in hindsight maybe it was the way to get Robotech on TV. It was all about timing. They missed the whole Toonami thing showing reruns.

The final result was Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, a film which was supposed to kickstart the franchise into a new TV series or even a film franchise.

Harmony Gold’s position has been that working with a network will cause them to lose too much control. That inflexibility is the same as saying they don’t want a TV series.

The lesson learned from Harmony Gold is that if you don’t invest and take risks, then you don’t make any money.

Signature 

get a job
The Bioroids have just begun to fight.

Posted: 23 January 2018 03:52 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2001-01-30

I really wish all of the controlling players would get their act together and figure out how to make all of this work.  It has to be obvious to everyone that the status quo hasn’t worked for all of the franchises involved.  It’s been 32+ years since the series aired, there is still a loyal fanbase around the world, and millions of dollars to be made if everyone started to work together on all sides.

I know, I’m dreaming…

Signature 

Piero!
Visit my Deviantart page at http://x1commander.deviantart.com/

Visit my Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/x1commander

Posted: 24 January 2018 07:39 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2004-04-09
X1 Commander - 23 January 2018 03:52 PM

I really wish all of the controlling players would get their act together and figure out how to make all of this work.  It has to be obvious to everyone that the status quo hasn’t worked for all of the franchises involved.  It’s been 32+ years since the series aired, there is still a loyal fanbase around the world, and millions of dollars to be made if everyone started to work together on all sides.

I know, I’m dreaming…

Word…

Signature 

Founder of the “BRING BACK ZOR” league of 85er’s

Posted: 25 January 2018 06:09 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2004-07-04

I was hoping the article might’ve gone into the proposed Robotech Mars Force I heard about years ago.. Most of it I already knew like Rick’s radical redesign and the choice of final song..

Signature 

“Life without pain isn’t real. Because I know the truth and the truth hurts.” (Isamu Dyson, Macross Plus)

Posted: 26 January 2018 08:11 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  697
Joined  2006-03-12

Is there a reason why Robotech is limited to using only Mospeada designs for new material?  Macross I get, but Southern Cross?

Posted: 27 January 2018 05:28 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2004-07-04
RaisingCane - 26 January 2018 08:11 AM

Is there a reason why Robotech is limited to using only Mospeada designs for new material?  Macross I get, but Southern Cross?

Though Southern Cross wasn’t a Big West show (it was a Tatsunoko one) it was also planned by Studio Nue and part of the Super Dimensional trinity. So that might be an issue..

Signature 

“Life without pain isn’t real. Because I know the truth and the truth hurts.” (Isamu Dyson, Macross Plus)

Posted: 27 January 2018 06:43 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2006-03-12

Big West owns Macross II and Studio Nue had no involvement with it, right?  If so, I wonder if Harmony Gold could license it from BW and use their mecha and ship designs for future Robotech projects.  Come to think of it, wouldn’t that also give HG some wiggle-room to reuse the SDF-1 and Zentradi ships since they appear in Macross II as well?

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/macross2/index.htm

Posted: 30 January 2018 10:20 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Commander
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2001-05-10

Thanks for posting that interesting article Rider JetFire, read though the whole thing and found it quite illuminating!

Mav…

Signature 

That’s X-COM baby!

Posted: 04 February 2018 06:04 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2006-03-12

I wish Netflix would buy Robotech.

Posted: 05 February 2018 08:19 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1980
Joined  2001-01-30
RaisingCane - 04 February 2018 06:04 PM

I wish Netflix would buy Robotech.

That’d be a big cleanup job for Netflix. The brand has been damaged so much and for so long they’d have re-invent the look and feel of the original show for a modern audience to make something they could show off, even if it were a direct sequel. I doubt anyone would be interested in acquiring this property just so they can slap a Robotech logo on old and moldy SDF Macross toys and reissue them over and over for 18 years like they forgot time moves forward.

Signature 

get a job
The Bioroids have just begun to fight.

Posted: 06 February 2018 12:05 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2006-03-12

Have you seen all of the original anime that they’ve produced already (not to mention Voltron)?

http://deadline.com/2017/08/netflix-anime-programming-slate-series-godzilla-movie-teaser-1202140645/

I doubt they’d have to remake the series or sell toys to revive the brand and it would hardly be a major undertaking for them. 

Posted: 06 March 2018 09:06 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2001-01-30

HG, we just want a conclusion RT:SC and by that means the completion of Robotech: Shadow Rising. Make it into an OVA if you got a budget, hired Shinji Aramaki and his studio Sola Arts and wallah, a closure to Shadow Chronicles arc.

HG has a stranglehold on Mospeada designs, thus completing Robotech: Shadow Rising in terms of mecha designs should not be a problem.

If you guys don’t have a decent budget to animate Robotech: Shadow Rising, then give us a conclusion via other medium, either a comic miniseries / webcomic / or a novel by James Luceno to wrap up the classic Robotech before the reboot of the entire series. We’ve the Robotech: Prelude to The Shadow Chronicles to conclude the Robotech II The Sentinels timeline, so completion of Shadow Chronicles arc with Robotech: Shadow Rising comic miniseries by Titan should be a way forward and logical conclusion.

Signature 

Forever shall I be loyal to you, my love, my Queen…Mother of the Invid race, Regis.We shall rise like a fiery phoenix, together we will rewrite the history of space and time…Forever. [attributed to Zor]

ROBOTECH SITES ARCHIVE (WEBSITES / MESSAGE BOARDS / RPGS / FANFICS / OSM)

Posted: 27 December 2021 09:46 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  380
Joined  2021-08-25

network will cause them to lose too much control

https://fencingmissoulamt.com