Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
What would you like to see in future Robotech video games?
Posted: 06 December 2017 04:24 PM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2001-01-30

Personally, I really enjoyed Battlecry way back in the day, but I never did play the Invid Invasion game, and while the Game Boy Advance game was fun, it wasn’t all that challenging or long. 

With the renewing interest in Robotech, at least from the perspective that there is actually new products coming, I’m curious about what types of video games people would like to see going forward.

I think that each Saga is unique enough to merit very different games from each other.  This of course could be good or bad depending on whether the players are willing to try a different type of game with each iteration, but that’s not for this discussion.

On the surface, I think the Macross Saga game could be similar to Battlecry or the Macross games, 1st/3rd person shooting game with transforming elements, but what could be different now, especially with online gaming or a local multi-screen setup like the Wii U, Switch, and New 3DS, is the element of commanding the SDF-1 during gameplay.  Who doesn’t want to actually command the greatest ship in the Robotech universe?  With the possibilities available via touchscreen controls, you could have your friends battling against Kyhron’s battalion, while simultaneously directing computer pilots to defend other sectors around the ship.

For the Southern Cross Saga, I see it again being a 1st/3rd person game, with a greater emphasis on strategy, perhaps closer to a Dynasty Warriors type of game, but again with a player who could be a commander of the armed forces.  Direct your fleets across the battlefield, or take direct control of a Hovertank, Logan or AGAC and fight the Robotech Masters in person.  As the commander though you can’t direct players who have gone inside of the Masters ship, so you have to find a way to provide support and keep the window of escape open.

For the New Generation, if we focus on the Lonely Soldier aspect, the commander element would be gone, but an RPG style experience system could be implemented with the player having to balance his/her supplies vs. what the player needs to use in order to survive.  Share your gear with the members of your team, or with NPCs to gain new intel or weapons in your fight.

Of course, there are many more possibilities, but I thought I’d put this up here to get the discussion going.

Signature 

Piero!
Visit my Deviantart page at http://x1commander.deviantart.com/

Visit my Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/x1commander

Posted: 06 December 2017 04:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08

An open world game set in that world would be cool. 

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 07 December 2017 05:20 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2001-04-23

I played both Battlecry and Invasion back when they came out. Loved Battlecry and did not care for Invasion.
Here is what I would like to see in future video games:

I would love to operate a Hovertank and AGAC copter from the Robotech Masters saga.

Love to operate an alpha, a beta and then combine the two from the new generation.

My ultimate dream is to be the SDF-1 and take on the Zentraedi fleet. Would love to use the Daedulus attack if my main gun is down.

Posted: 10 December 2017 03:55 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2004-01-21

An open world game Set during The New Generation arc would be awesome.

Signature 

Many claim they wish to destroy their enemies. If this were true, most would be compelled to destroy themselves.

Posted: 10 December 2017 02:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2017-10-18

I would like to see a multi player game involving the New Generation mecha.  Alphas and Betas in the air and cyclones on the ground.  I would also like to see Battlecry upgraded for the PC.

Posted: 10 December 2017 08:01 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Commander
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2001-05-10

I would like two games being made to maximize the attractiveness of Robotech as a gaming IP. First I would to see a proper Strategy RPG using a similar game design like X-COM 2 but done with cel shaded rendering.
The second game would be similar to the older PS2, X-Box version of Star Wars: Battlefront II from 2005, but also done with the cel shaded rendering.

The first game I mentioned earlier could be ported to tablets and phones as well if it can be based on the X-COM Enemy Within game that already exists for both the iOS and Android platforms.

Mav…

Signature 

That’s X-COM baby!

Posted: 14 December 2017 03:49 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-12-14

I would like to see in Robotech games.

Story and skill driven game with some open world elements.  Types of skills would reflect the pilots progression with either Destroids or Veritechs.

Posted: 20 December 2017 11:34 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Private
Joined  2017-10-18

Robotech needs to make a presence in the market again before any game manufacturer will touch the franchise.  HG needs to get the title in front of folks first, those of us who like and love Robotech are not enough of a market for such an endeavor.  Without a show on TV or quality movies in the theater,  all we have is this website and chat forums.

Posted: 26 December 2017 06:46 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2007-09-04

Having experienced many shoot ‘em up games from various franchises (but not Macross games, “thanks” HG!), I find that a new Macross game should have the same controls of the Federation Vs Zeon Gundam game: the awkward controls in Battlecry really killed the experience for me.

But this is not enough, they must:

• add a first person view,

• give the chance to customize the robot’s outer shell,

• let the player choose the side to fight for and pilot the corresponding robots,

• give the player the chance to pilot all destroids, non-transforming planes and even spaceships,

• make the background fully interactive, so that the players can destroy objects or structures in it or use said objects against the enemy,

• let the player choose if he/she wants to be a character from the show or create a new one from scratch.

Posted: 26 May 2018 08:23 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2001-07-11

I would like to have a Halo-like FPS perspective for all ground combat. then switch to Star Wars Battlefront style for piloting vehicles and multiplayer.

All three generations to be available, but we all know that Macross would get made first, even though I would be happy with just an Invid only game.

Then make it interesting. Have a story mode where you can play through the story as a main character (Rick/Dana/Scott).

Also have a “forge” setting where people could create their own maps.

The multi-player could re-create certain battles from each story arch.

But the real fun begins when you can take Rick Invid hunting and Scott can go against the Zentradi. Cyclones against Bioroids for “red vs blue” type of combat.

And one last thing:
NO MICROTRANSACTIONS

Yes, I know this will never happen.

but if I ever won the powerball and had $100 million to build a game, this would be it!

Signature 

Do what makes you happy.

Posted: 13 June 2018 11:28 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2001-01-30

I think some small scale video games for the Indie markets on the Switch, PS4, XBox 1 and PC would be a good start.

Signature 

Piero!
Visit my Deviantart page at http://x1commander.deviantart.com/

Visit my Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/x1commander

Posted: 25 July 2018 09:40 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2004-02-09

Well it has been a while since I’ve appeared on this board to set an idea forth for consideration. But alas I believe it is time to do so. I am an avid video game player, particularly focusing on the general Role Playing Genre with the intermix of third person shooters such as Transformers: War for Cybertron and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. I enjoyed Battle Cry, it was challenging and it had a really good story with an expandable character in Jack Archer… shame we have no idea what happened to him after his climactic battle in space. It lacked some of the specifics that I believe necessary to most games, a map that can be explored freely without time limit or equipment that be equipped or removed based on mission specifics. Invasion well let us leave that for a moment shall we?

But I digress, I named the previous two examples from the Transformers Universe, because if there was to be a third person style game created, I would want it to be based off their models… with modifications to fit the specific timelines selected for the games. Personally I believe there is a vast unexplored potential in the Resistance pre-expeditionary forces. A player can easily fight their way off of the Earth much like Diana and the rest of the 15th ATAC. Fight through invading Invid forces trying desperate to find some level of sanctuary or escape. Using Mecha from the Second Robotech Wars, as well as weaponry and small arms could prove to be a very challenging and enjoyable story. Use a loyal adviser to the Regis as the primary villain or obstacle and you have yourself a heck base to expand in any direction as you build towards the Liberation of Earth and the coming of the Haydonites and their betrayal.

Now back to Robotech: Invasion. (told ya I’d be back)

Invasion itself had a lot of potential. It played out the final days before the invasion of Reflex Point through the eyes of a more evolved Invid agent (Locke). My issue with this game was two fold. Its length was paltry for the timeline they were exploring and its linear telling of the story with limited mobility and use of the Cyclone Armor Vehicle Form. I suppose this is fine for a third person shooter, but I envision so much more for this period in Robotech History. The fall of the Army of the Southern Cross and the return of the Expeditionary Forces, should not be condensed into a single span of four to five nights, traversing a couple of maps before making an attempt infiltrating a genetic castle… No, this time frame screams for Bethesda’s glorious hand.

Yes, the seed is now planted in the minds of many. Allow Bethesda to create a game that allows the player to traverse the planet and fight for survival against Invid raiders, human scavengers, rogue Robotech Master technology… all while gaining skills and notoriety as you grow in ranks. More skill you get the more access you get to better salvage and weapons left over from Earth’s defenders. It probably won’t be a traditional sword and shield RPG that Bethesda is known for and excelled at… but there is so much potential here to build not only a series of unique stories, while remaining true to the established lore of Robotech, but to expand and bud off to different regions of the planet post Reflex Point II. It is unlikely all of the Invid fled with the Regis, not even counting Ariel or Sara… and there are probably several who remained behind to carve out their own little kingdoms on the planet.

Posted: 26 August 2018 04:40 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2001-01-30

Just ported the Robotech Battlecry PC game into mobile gaming for smartphones or tabs.

Signature 

Forever shall I be loyal to you, my love, my Queen…Mother of the Invid race, Regis.We shall rise like a fiery phoenix, together we will rewrite the history of space and time…Forever. [attributed to Zor]

ROBOTECH SITES ARCHIVE (WEBSITES / MESSAGE BOARDS / RPGS / FANFICS / OSM)

Posted: 26 August 2018 10:43 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08

Something akin to Titanfall 2 would be good for the Macross Saga and Robotech Masters.  For New Gen, the open world concept.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 12 November 2018 08:20 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2001-07-21

I played and enjoyed both games, though I would love to see a present console era game like Battlecry, but with better graphics and perhaps a bit more length. 
Twich

Signature 

“Talk softly, but carry a big stick!” -Roosevelt"An armed society is a polite society” -Robert
Heinlein
—-To thine own self, be true!

Posted: 20 November 2018 04:55 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1114
Joined  2002-02-21
jeanie - 26 August 2018 10:43 AM

Something akin to Titanfall 2 would be good for the Macross Saga and Robotech Masters.  For New Gen, the open world concept.

This would be amazing. Especially the TF2 angle :D

Signature 

“I hear the revolver go off, but what the hell, it’s 5pm, and not my problem…”
“U P Telephony? I P Urine!”

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3