email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
What do you think of Anime editing…
Posted: 17 February 2001 08:07 PM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2001-02-17

I personally despise it.

I’ve been watching Outlaw Star, on CN’s Toonami, it was good but editing kind of chopped parts of the storyline. I know they can’t show things on TV so don’t bring that up… Anyways what cha think?

Signature 

“I say we dustoff and nuke it from orbit” Ripley

Posted: 17 February 2001 08:26 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2001-01-30

I could go on this subject forever but I shall try to keep it short.  Things are too censored.  Parents want the TV to be the babysitters of their kids instead of them to talk to them about certain things that may happen.  So, they can’t do that nor can they regulate what their children watch.  I believe that when it is time for our generation (anime watchers)  censorship on that will be lessened.  For example in DBZ, little jimmy should know that when hit by something of the power of a mack truck, there is going to be that mysterious red substance…........blood which comes out.  I don’t think spit will cover the full effect of being smoked in the gut.  They need to be shown what can really happen.  There is no reason to make them think that they can’t be hurt and that being hit around does inflict pain.  I’m stopping now.  ^^  ~Kyle

Signature 

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

I don’t belong to this squadron (points) nor that one (points again)  but I’m a proud slave to Mir, who recieves cookies, and follower of TPS.

Posted: 17 February 2001 08:31 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2001-02-15

Every anime show should’nt be edited period.  And if the content is not for some particular age group then put it in a different time period.

Posted: 17 February 2001 08:41 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2001-02-16

Kypie24, I agree totally with you.  The networks are pushed with the responsibility of not showing anything “innapropriate” to younger or more sensitive viewers.  I say they go too far.  If the parents that want censorship are any kind of parent, they would look after their child and make sure that they are not watching what they are not supposed to be watching.  Instead, they blaim their bad parenting on the television networks.  It’s a free country and networks should be allowed to show whatever they f***ing please.  Sorry, I got a little carried away there =P People who want that much censorship should go to some communist country and plead to them their views because a free country should not be forced to regulate what is viewed on their networks !  I’ll stop here because I am getting far too angry with this topic to continue without going beserk.

Signature 

“There is no Peter, only Zuul.”

Posted: 17 February 2001 08:43 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2001-02-16

There should be much less editing, but still some.  Anime has a tendancy toward excessive nudity (IE: girls in tenchi, which fixed the problem with bathing suits).  Also, some language is okay to edit, but try not too.  And only when blood is added jsut for the hell of it should it be edited, but still elave some!

Signature 

Rats line On nO evil staR

Posted: 17 February 2001 09:07 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  157
Joined  2001-01-30

Is nessesary to edit anime, but is more nessesary to keep it the more intact possible after editing it, but all that people that edits anime cuts a lot of it, that´s bad men.

Signature 

“Only the spirit of attack born in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.”

Adolf Galland - Luftwaffe General.

Posted: 17 February 2001 09:25 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2001-01-30

I really don’t like it when just because a few parents get uppety we can’t here the word “dang” in anime. The only reason that anime is edited at all is because enough people think that they are so inteligent that it is up to them to “patrol the airwaves” and make it so other people can’t watch things. If you don’t want your four-year-old watching a man getting cut into twelve different pieces by some kid from the future, then make sure you four-year-old doesn’t watch that, one has no right to tell others what someone else can watch unless they are very close to the family and the person is a minor who cannot discriminate between real and false.

Problem, my little sisters (four years) want to watch Tenchi Muyo! with me. Solution, I turn it off, and ask them if they would like to play something instead. This is a sad day in America, many people blame others for things that are their faults, and then our “system”, our very society, supports them! I’m sorry, but I fail to see how video games can teach me how to illigaly acquire fire-arms and amunition, or how my music makes me build pipe-bombs, I use these things as outlets, when I am angry, FPSs are good stress relievers, when I’m feeling sad, Ozzy and AC/DC get me back up. These things are not to blame for a parent who isn’t paying attention, only the parents. Television is not a mother or a father, nothing can replace those roles, and yet many Americans still fail to see the error of their ways, and those who do, but still do this, they are the worst! They know whose fault it is, and they shrug the responsibility onto someone else! Mes amis, hear me now! Never fall into this trap, may those you love never fall into this trap, if they should vere to close, change their paths! This cannot be tolerated much longer, freedom of expresion is given to all those in this twisted country, and not only do people think they can circumvent my rights, they think they deserve a reward for saving me from myself! I would sooner die by my own hand through ignorance, than live a day of my life in fear of something that I know cannot harm me!

Signature 

Many of my friends are girls, if only they were aliens too….
Got Faeries? Get Raid. Kills. Faeries. Dead.
And lastly, please go to my site at http://www.cothar.com

Posted: 17 February 2001 09:28 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2001-01-30

people should stop editing the shows, if the show was created for teenagers and have a little profanity and blood, let the teenagers watch it! It would beat making the people buy uncut versions, but then again, a lot of companies only want profit.

Signature 

LA-z BoYz Philosophy= Never Lift a Finger

Posted: 17 February 2001 09:54 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  251
Joined  2001-01-30

Editing is a necessary evil.

Think of it.  Things have been edited out of Robotech, most notably the giant hole in Roy Fokker’s back, Ben having his body torn apart in his cockpit, and Marlene traipsing around nude.  Parents get really worked up over cartoons and other children’s shows.  If those scenes, and others, had not been cut out, then Robotech would simply not have been.

So for TV, and the exposure that TV gives, I understand it completely.  Poor editing (like the hatchet job that Escaflowne recieved) is not as good of a thing, but the show is out there to create a new generation of anime fans.

However, I do not understand it with regard to tapes or DVDs that I buy.  If the thing is a direct to video type of product, then why edit it?

Signature 

Gabriel

Posted: 17 February 2001 10:02 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2001-01-30

The same reason someone will put a product that is inferior near a similar looking but superior product, money. If you increase the size of your target audience, you increase the amount of money you stand to make.

Signature 

Many of my friends are girls, if only they were aliens too….
Got Faeries? Get Raid. Kills. Faeries. Dead.
And lastly, please go to my site at http://www.cothar.com

Posted: 18 February 2001 01:38 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2001-02-16

If they are going to edit it (which is their right) they should warn us.  This is particularly true of DVDs.  However, on network television, as long as the perception in America is that cartoons are for children, and Japanese animation are cartoons, we’re going to have the networks editing themselves.  I know that many of you who are 15 or 16 like to think you’re adult.  But you’re home at 3:30 like all the “kids” 8 or 9 years old.  The time slot encourages viewing by kids who are below the target audience.  Most adults are working til 5 or 5:30….  Unless you think parents should forbid their children to watch TV at all when they’re away, editing is a necessary evil….

Signature 

The First Thing You Should Realize Is That I Have Already Won.

Posted: 18 February 2001 06:37 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2001-02-16

IT SUCKS INCREDIBLY

Signature 

“Alcohol-the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.”-Homer Simpson

Posted: 18 February 2001 09:39 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2001-01-30

The only reason editing should exist is to cut out of some nudity in the anime that might be watched by some gradeschool kids. Otherwise leave the stuff in it and let American’s watch what the Japanese watch. (and hear if you are a sub. only type of person) and also Anime should only be edited of the cussing but only if there is more than needed (e.g. CyberCity Odeo)</I> but if one or two or ten characters say F***, or S*** for getting frustrated or shot then just leave it, kids are going to learn those words before they reach junior high, same with editing out the blood but I don’t feel like talking all day.

Signature 

It’s all just fun and games till someone gets hurt then it is fricken hilarious.

Posted: 19 February 2001 08:16 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2001-01-30

I agree that editing has gone way too far.  Parents should be parents and not expect to be able to sit the kiddies in front of the TV while they go gab on the phone and ignore them.  Ultimately, it’s the parent’s responsibilty to rear their child, not that of the rest of the world.  The rest of us shouldn’t be made to watch ultra-censored drivil that wasn’t aimed at the kiddies in the first place.

I think people have to realize that Cartoons does not equal kid-audience.  Once people in the US realize that Anime is a medium and not a genre, they might get the point that it’s for all ages.

On the flip side, I don’t have much of a problem changing words like “damn” to “blast.”  It doesn’t take things away from the story all that much.  If it’s in the afternoon, small kids can come across it, even if their parents are keeping an eye on them and we don’t need ten-year-olds using words like “F***” without knowing what it means.

In short, the networks should learn to realize when an Anime is not airable and when one is.  Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Slayers, things like that, they’re safe to air.  Tenchi?  Outlaw Star?  No, not a chance.  They are most definately aimed at the 14 and up crowd and should not have been aired the way they were.

I also think that Toonami set a dangerous precident for themselves when they aired Gundam Wing uncut on the Midnight Run.  Now everyone’s screaming at them to do it with other shows… which really shouldn’t be… ^^;

Berz.

Signature 

Berzerker_prime"How about a cross-genre story, one that brings Jack Bauer to the Realms to ‘question’ Volo about his sources?” - Elaine Cunningham.

Posted: 20 February 2001 02:51 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2001-02-15

That is a touchy subject. I am for editing when it is done right and for the correct reasons. Too often however I find that cartoons (Anime in particular) are hacked to bits (or dumbed down if you were)for the sake of the so-called American audience. While I agree that some schenes in shows like DBZ and even Go-lion have some content that may need to be kiddified down for this american audience, I have seen them oftem times cut to pieces simply for the sake of changing the story it would seem. I don’t consider Batman Beyond ANIME by any stretch of the imagination but it is a perfect example of the so-called sensors at work defamating good cartoons. I found out that The Return of The Joker was hacked to bits…and I ask, why? The schenes cut weren’t anything that haven’t been seen on T.V. or even toons before…oh well, sad. Anyway, in the long run, due to graphic content that I have seen too often in alot of Anime, I do feel it is necessary in some instances, and heartily support it.

Signature 

This Robotech thing is so exciting I just couldn’t give it up. It just gets in your blood or something