I dont know if this was asked or not, but about the Long Wait and that Tuna
Posted: 14 April 2005 07:05 AM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1733
Joined  2001-04-17

Why was that Tunafish so big???

Signature 

Shadow Squad 279 Commanding Officer

It has ended! Is it really over Optimus? I mean have we seen the end of this war, forever? Who can say Spike! Is anything in this vast universe truly forever!

Optimus Prime and Spike

Posted: 14 April 2005 07:48 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  3290
Joined  2001-03-13

There are a variety of types of tuna fish, there is one that can grow to 427cm long & 680kg in mass which is in the pacific ocean.

Signature 

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Posted: 14 April 2005 08:11 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1733
Joined  2001-04-17

Thanks for your help, that was one that always puzzued me
Thanks

Signature 

Shadow Squad 279 Commanding Officer

It has ended! Is it really over Optimus? I mean have we seen the end of this war, forever? Who can say Spike! Is anything in this vast universe truly forever!

Optimus Prime and Spike

Posted: 14 April 2005 02:15 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2002-08-17

talk about freezer burn. do you realize that space is literally as cold as it gets? absolute zero - the point at which all motion ceases on a cellular level. that would be -273f (or about five times as cold as it gets in minnesota during january). in a space fold, if something were simply “deposited” in the middle of space from the atmospheric conditions of earth, it would be as if someone opened up their spacesuit in the middle of repairing a component on the outside of their shuttle. anyone ever seen “mission to mars”? (if you have, you may want to sign my petition to get your money back). tim robbins practically shattered and exploded when he did that, as would be the case, from the extreme temperate and pressure change. the same thing happens (explosions) when you lift deep sea fish to the surface too fast when trying to study them (sushi sneeze, they used to call it). i expect the same would happen with the tuna, and anyone unfortunate enough to be caught outside of a viable shelter after the spacefold. every cell in that tuna’s body would have ruptured as the moisture in them froze and expanded WAY the hell too quickly. the meat (or fish slurry, as it would have become) would not be viable, and they would have needed to eat it through a straw anyway. :101:

Signature 

“Hmmm…tunafish!” - Rick & Minmei, in unison

Mr. Bateman - Robotech:Invasion kicked serious booty!

Posted: 14 April 2005 02:24 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11313
Joined  2003-09-16

:101: ABSOLUTE ZERO IN SPACE? NOT QUITE
“How can empty space have a temperature? The Sun radiates light (T = 6000 K), a fire produces infrared radiation (T = 1000 K), as do you and I (T = 310 K). A vacuum is not empty but contains black-body radiation at a well-defined temperature. The frequency of this electromagnetic radiation is proportional to the absolute temperature. Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson won the Nobel Prize for their discovery, in 1964, that outer space is filled with infrared radiation at a temperature of 2.73 K. This temperature has been measured very precisely by the COBE (COsmic Background Explorer) satellite, launched in 1989. This radiation is the remnant of the Big Bang. Some 700,000 years after the start of the Universe a “sea” of free electrons and protons prevented the free propagation of light (think of the sun where the atoms are ionised - we can’t see through it). But as the temperature fell below 3000 K neutral atoms formed and the Universe became transparent (let there be light!). The Universe has since expanded dramatically and the radiation cooled. The temperature of intergalactic molecules of cyanogen (C2N2) has also been measured directly as 2.73 K, in thermal equilibrium with the cosmic background radiation (this was first discovered 50 years ago, but no explanation was then available). This is the lowest natural temperature but is available only in deep space. Lower temperatures require intelligence (or at least physicists).”

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 14 April 2005 02:32 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  3575
Joined  2001-02-18

absolute zero - the point at which all motion ceases on a cellular level. that would be -273f

Molecular level and -273 Celsius. Cellular motion tends to stop when the body is frozen, which can occur at 0 Celsius.

tim robbins practically shattered and exploded when he did that, as would be the case, from the extreme temperate and pressure change. the same thing happens (explosions) when you lift deep sea fish to the surface too fast when trying to study them (sushi sneeze, they used to call it). i expect the same would happen with the tuna, and anyone unfortunate enough to be caught outside of a viable shelter after the spacefold.

No. The pressure change is 1 atmosphere, or about the change you get going from 10 meters under water to the surface. Skin can very easilly withstand this pressure differential.

Also, there is no matter in a vacuum to conduct the heat away from your body, so it has to radiate. This will happen fast, but will still last some time.

Search the NASA sites, they had some good articles a while ago on this Hollywood fantasy that looks better on the big (and small) screen than in real life.

every cell in that tuna’s body would have ruptured as the moisture in them froze and expanded WAY the hell too quickly. the meat (or fish slurry, as it would have become) would not be viable, and they would have needed to eat it through a straw anyway.

Frozen meat is very much thawable and edible. After cooking.

Posted: 15 April 2005 01:28 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2002-08-17

frozen is one thing, but what i was getting at is that the cell walls would have ruptured and the meat, albeit edible, would be a slurry. blaq needs to either work for nasa or get a date, whichever comes first. smile

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2005 01:31 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11313
Joined  2003-09-16

blaq needs to either work for nasa or get a date, whichever comes first.

Given my track record, I guess I better get ready for space flight. ^_^

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 15 April 2005 01:34 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2002-08-17

i just did a search on ask jeeves, and dagnabbit i guess yo’re right. it would seem that hollywood and my own high school physics tachers lied to me about the severity of exposure in outer space. in fact if you don’t try to hold your breath you can survive for several minutes. freaky - kinda messes with your head.

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2005 01:36 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2002-08-17

would it not be plausible though that the tuna fish, having been exposed to the ultraviolet rays of the sun for so long, would have given rick and minmei radiation poisoning after they ate its meat (and practically nothing else for two weeks)?

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2005 01:43 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  3575
Joined  2001-02-18

Near Pluto there isn’t very much sun to irradiate anything. So I think they’re safe from that danger.

Posted: 17 April 2005 01:47 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2003-01-31

Organic material can’t become radioactive unless the dosage is absolutely huge.  That far from the sun, the radioactivity comes mostly from distant stars, black holes, and novas, and is about as dangerous as chain-smoking all your life.

Posted: 17 April 2005 03:18 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2005-01-29

I love tuna.The bigger the better-!!!!

Signature 

The reefer´s guide to the robotech universe!

Posted: 17 April 2005 05:10 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2445
Joined  2004-06-13

.....obviously, it was large because it was a Zentraedi tuna fish.  He was a snack on one of the battle pods.  And he stayed intact within the vacuum of space the same way Breetai did…he’s a Zentraedi tuna! :p

Signature 

—85er—Intubator of the D.O.L…..Flowmeter of the Dark Fin…. - Remember Carl.

Posted: 17 April 2005 05:15 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2004-06-10

Who would have ever imagined that such a simple question would have had such a massive and varied response! Its a big frozen fishy in space for the sake of a science fiction cartoon :rofl:

I just like the way the line “That sure is a big tunna fish” that Minmei says has been implemented in the cheat codes of the RT Battlecry game.

Signature 

No expectations, no dissapointments.

Posted: 17 April 2005 11:22 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2002-01-17

When I first saw Robotech, my impression was that the tuna had become big as a result of the forces that created the space fold. After all, if the centre of the fold was the SDF-1, then the outlying sea would have been the furthest out from the grasp of the “fold bubble.” Whether its based in science or not, I suppose that sometimes we’ve gotta make the answers ourselves… -_-

Signature 

And when Khyron fell
The world was forever changed
Tears from Zentraedi cheeks
Some cried tears of joy, some of pain
But they all cried
For Lord Khyron had not died in vain.

1 2 > 
1 of 2