Robotech - The Official Headquarters of the Robotech Universe!
The Macross SagaThe Robotech MastersThe New GenerationThe Shadow Chroniclescoming soon
NEWS
COMMUNITY
INFOPEDIA
GALLERY
STORE
SEARCH

RDF MEMBER
JOIN NOW
Forgot your Password?

RT Soundtracks
New Tunes!

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles movie
On Blu-Ray & DVD

faqs
Community » Forums » Robotech Stuff » Discussion Thread » Page [1] 2

Topic Author

Discussion Topic

Kevin McKeever  

Subject: Robotech Novels now in eBook formats! 
Started on: March 28, 2011 - 1:03:43 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm pleased to report that the original line of Robotech novels by Jack McKinney are now available in ebook format for various wireless devices.

You can get these classic for the Amazon's Kindle, Apple iBooks, Barnes & Noble's Nook, Google eBooks, Sony Reader as well as generic ePub and PDF formats (DRM required). You can even try out a sample portion of the eBook before you buy!

You can find out more about the eBooks here -

For those of you who prefer the classic feel of paper, you can still order the original Omnibus editions from the Robotech.com Store! -

Enjoy!

Kevin McKeever
ROBOTECH.com

Your BankofKev since 1998.

kev@robotech.com
Return to Message Index Report a problem

Response 1 of 31 

Kyte  

Subject: Incomplete "original line" 
Posted on: March 28, 2011 - 8:21:21 PM

So, are we ever goin' to see reprints of the Sentinels, in-between novels, and/or End of the Circle? Will HG ever even comment on whether or not these will be reprinted or available in ebook format (not what I am particularly interested in). My copies of these books are nearin' the end of their life span after bein' read, and reread numerous times and I would very much like some new copies.

Long live McKinney!

Response 

ahchu  

Subject: Doubtful 
Posted on: March 28, 2011 - 10:41:56 PM

Since the novels you mentioned aren't considered canon anymore. It would be nice though.

Response 

ElricWolf  

Subject: Sentinels 
Posted on: March 29, 2011 - 12:53:48 AM

Well, current canon or no, I happily got my Sentinels novels and End of the Circle a *long* time ago. They are still in pretty mint condition due to having been in storage most of the time.

It might be nice to have e-copies of them for re-reading or posterity, etc. I've read and seen the other (core) parts of the saga many times and own it in various formats and am ready for something *new* (like the rest of TSC) Something!

"This Robotech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up... it just gets in your blood or something - I dunno."

Roy Fokker

Response 

relak  

Subject: SENTINELS 
Posted on: March 29, 2011 - 9:47:34 AM

With e-book, HG wont have to worry about incurring costs of printing??

Releasing Sentinels in e-book would be hardly a dent in their pocket.

Response 

ahchu  

Subject: True Relak 
Posted on: March 29, 2011 - 10:41:12 AM

I agree releasing more e-books shouldn't cost them too much. However, the fact that the remaining novels don't fit into HG's current vision of the Robotech world is enough to not release them. Non-diehard and new fans could get confused about Robotech events leading them to question or openly criticize new official Robotech releases.

Response 

Hellion  

Subject: Audio Books??? 
Posted on: March 29, 2011 - 1:35:50 PM

I'd still like to see them re-done as Audio Books.

It is by will alone I set my pliers in motion. It is by the rings of Maille that hands acquire dexterity, the hands acquire wounds, wounds become a warning. It is by will alone I set my pliers in motion.

Lord Hellion
http://www.pngusa.net/~lordhellion

Response 

Ariel_Simulagent  

Subject: About "The Sentinels", "End of the Circle" novels 
Posted on: March 29, 2011 - 6:08:51 PM

Why not just classify those as "alternate universe" so as to not confused anyone and us die-hards who *bought* those novels 20 years ago are happy?

The firebird of transfiguration spread wings wider then the planet, soaring away to another plane of existence, with a cry so magnificent and sad that Zor forgot his impending death.

Response 

relak  

Subject: .... 
Posted on: March 29, 2011 - 6:18:12 PM

However, the fact that the remaining novels don't fit into HG's current vision of the Robotech world is enough to not release them.

neither do the "thinking caps" and "the shapings" and many other details that are in the main timeline novels.

Non-diehard and new fans could get confused about Robotech events leading them to question or openly criticize new official Robotech releases.

Like Ariel_simulagent said, its all in the marketing.
HG can market the novels as a alternate universe similar to Marvel's Ultimate universe or Gundam's AUs

Response 

Ariel_Simulagent  

Subject: looking back now... 
Posted on: March 29, 2011 - 9:36:47 PM

I think I really missed the boat on "The Sentinels". Sure I bought all 5 and nominally read them, but the vaster scope and amount of characters really put me off it. Maybe I was too young at the time. I'd really like a chance to try it again and eBook format would be perfect.

The firebird of transfiguration spread wings wider then the planet, soaring away to another plane of existence, with a cry so magnificent and sad that Zor forgot his impending death.

Response 

Rick Botland  

Subject: Sell non-canon e-books 
Posted on: April 2, 2011 - 12:26:25 AM

So, are we ever goin' to see reprints of the Sentinels, in-between novels, and/or End of the Circle? Will HG ever even comment on whether or not these will be reprinted or available in ebook format (not what I am particularly interested in)

Same thoughts, but I'd like to see e-book versions of them because I'm missing a couple. They can make them limited-edition collectible versions and clarify that the books are not canon.

Robotech.com sells Macross DVDs, and they're different (though they came first), so why not sell the other books again?

"Don't worry about him, Miriya. Remember: Rick Hunter is a professional."

Response 

Gnutttheshark  

Subject: Make An Alternate Universe 
Posted on: April 7, 2011 - 9:30:01 AM

I, for one, would really enjoy reading The Sentinels as e-books. I agree with the majority, all that is needed, if anything, is an adjustment of the title and there you go.

Response 

Gumper  

Subject: Loving reading them again. 
Posted on: April 15, 2011 - 5:00:13 AM

However, I've noticed a lot of typos in them, more than I remember from the original books.

For instance, the Invid "Rower" of life seems like a very nasty person who likes, well...rowing hehe.

Thanks for releasing them again. Now need the rest of them! Please!

Nanu Nanu

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever...

Response 

Carlos V.  

Subject: I would also like The Sentinels and the other novels. 
Posted on: April 17, 2011 - 9:55:21 PM
Edited on: April 17, 2011 - 9:56:53 PM

They were very well written, and an "alternate universe" line could open new possibilities for new novels which would be really really great now.

Maybe a best-of fanfiction anthology would be nice too.

The audio books idea sound nice, with exciting sound effects and all.

Response 

Wolfgang  

Subject: Would love to get them but... 
Posted on: April 18, 2011 - 2:22:43 AM

When I go via the iBook app I cannot find them there.

Is this due to my being from Australia and they are not available via an Australian account? Or another error I'm unaware of?

Otherwise I'm very keen to get them and like others here would love to read some other books from the 'expanded' universe to complete my reading of Robotech.

The God Emperor

500 Trillion screaming fanatics can't be wrong.

Response 

Rand  

Subject: Rower of Life 
Posted on: April 18, 2011 - 2:34:52 AM

Well it is Rowboatech.

get a job
The Bioroids have just begun to fight.

Response 

Wizard5236  

Subject: Please release the rest. 
Posted on: April 19, 2011 - 6:50:24 AM

If we get a vote, I vote for releasing the rest of the books as e-books.

I've got all the books in near mint condition. I also purchased the four new e-books and would happily purchase the rest if they get released.

"The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition to be born in moments of revelation."
G'Kar :Babylon5

Response 

HashiNoUsagi  

Subject: ehhh 
Posted on: June 3, 2011 - 10:18:27 PM

If they release all of the old books I'll buy them. Otherwise I won't. It's ridiculous that they are holding them back because it contradicts their new story. I've wanted all of these books for a long time, but the only way to get them is second hand.

Response 

Jameson  

Subject: They're back? Why? 
Posted on: June 29, 2011 - 2:29:43 PM

The Robotech books by McKinney were atrocious and took the series in directions never thought of by fans. I have never forgotten the part in the Sentinels book where Rick angrily raises a fist to hit Lisa. As a poster said, they are non-canon. I'd go further than that and say it is a poor writer's attempt to write fiction. When characters start to act way, way out-of-character, then it becomes an insult to the fans.

Btw, McKinney reportedly is not a real person but a pseudonym chosen to represent the two writers.

Response 

Kyte  

Subject: Jameson 
Posted on: July 2, 2011 - 2:17:06 PM

Yes, Jack McKinney is a pseudonym fer the dynamic duo writin' team made up of Brian Daley and James Luceno.
You may not care fer how the novels were written, in fact the majority of RT fans I believe feel the same way. But there is a passionate group of us who love the books, and some (includin' myself) enjoy them more than the TV show.
As far as Rick raisin' a hand to Lisa, I certainly don't remember that part. I'll have to go back and reread the series!

Long live McKinney!
Return to Message Index  |  Go to Page [1] 2 Report a problem

By using this Web site, you are agreeing to the Terms of Use.
Privacy Policy | Contact Us | About Robotech.com

©1985-2012 Harmony Gold USA, Inc. All rights reserved.